ooey gooey red velvet butter cookies/ice cream sandwich

There must be words to adequately describe these, I'm just not sure that my vernacular fully encompasses them. Last year at my cousins baby shower I tried what looked like a sugar cookie. I was wrong, wrong in the best way possible. My brain actually took a few seconds to absorb what my mouth was tasting. It was too good to even be called a cookie. Stacy, Brandy's bestie was in from St. Louis and had made these for the shower. Ooey Gooey Butter Cookies, a twist of the St. Louis cake.


I googled the recipe the next day and discovered a variety of them. I first made the chocolate ones and they came out ok, but not fantastic. I'm pretty sure I did something wrong. For the last year I would click on it and contemplate making it...or flying Stacy out and having her do it. Pretty sure the cost would be worth it, not to mention her company. Her, Brandy and I have had quite a few fun nites together. But why lie...my favorite thing about Stacy is that she introduced me to these cookies. haha 


Anyways, I have definitely been in a cooking craze lately, so with valentines coming up I decided to once again try my hand at these. You can use any cake mix, but V-Day is the perfect opportunity for Red Velvet. 


So here you go. This recipe was adapted from Paula Dean's Ooey Gooey Cookies

Ingredients


  • 1 (8-ounce) brick cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 stick butter, at room temperature
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 (18-ounce) box red velvet cake mix
  • Confectioners' sugar, for dusting




Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the egg. Then beat in the vanilla extract. Beat in the cake mix. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to firm up so that you can roll the batter into balls. Roll the chilled batter into tablespoon sized balls and then roll them in confectioner's sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake 12 minutes. The cookies will remain soft and "gooey." Cool completely and sprinkle with more confectioners' sugar, if desired.
 This time they came out perfect, as good as I remeber. Only Red Velvety. I heart Red Velvet. I am a Southern girl. It's inherent in my nature.
I am not sure how many of you are familiar w/the Ben & Jerry's Red Velvet flavor, but if you're not, please get to the store and take your life from ordinary to extraordinary when you sandwich it between these cookies.
That's all.

*Origin* Obviously these cookies aren't mine, however I did get the sandwich part on my "ownsome;)" 

here 
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts, I love hearing what's on your mind

Custom Post Signature